Location: Agroscope, CH
Deadline: Until filled
Seed yield is not tested in agronomic performance trials for national listing of forage grasses, but is an important trait for economic success of a variety. Genetic improvement of seed yield is difficult and has, so far, not been a major breeding target in the Agroscope breeding program for Italian ryegrass. The aim of the IMPSEED project is to set the scientific basis for the implementation of seed yield as a routine breeding target. This will be achieved by conducting a selection experiment to test target traits for their effectiveness to increase seed yield and by developing molecular tools to increase future selection gain.
- Performing field experiments, including data acquisition and sample preparation, to produce a phenotypic data base for selection decisions and association mapping
- Preparation of DNA samples for genotyping-by-sequencing, analysis of sequence data and extraction of genetic marker information
- Data analysis for QTL-mapping and genome-wide association studies (GWAS)
- Writing of reports and scientific publications
- MSc or equivalent in agronomy and/or biology
- Enthusiasm for practical work in the field, experience in molecular biology
- Good knowledge in statistics and bioinformatics, experience in software R is a prerequisite
- Highly motivated, open-minded personality with a good capacity for teamwork
- Good knowledge in English, German language skills will be an asset
Agroscope is an innovative research institute for agriculture and nutrition. It is part of the Swiss federal administration and is attached to the Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research EAER. It has research stations at a number of sites around Switzerland with its head office in Bern-Liebefeld. The proposed project is a cooperation between Agroscope, represented by the group of forage crop breeding, and the group of Molecular Plant Breeding group at ETH Zürich, led by Prof. Bruno Studer. You will be enrolled as a PhD student at ETH Zürich.
Place of Work: Agroscope, 8046 Zürich Affoltern
Salary Category: According to the standards of the Swiss National Science Foundation
Employment Level: 100%
We look forward to receiving your online application to [email protected] (REF. 35631). Online applications consist of a single PDF containing an application letter, CV, copy of certificates/Diplomas (MSc &BSc) and contact information of 2 referees.
The position is open until filled. Starting date: January 1st 2019 or upon agreement. Duration: 4 years.
For further information:
(Do not send applications to these e-mail addresses)
Dr. Christoph Grieder, Forage Crop Breeder
+41 58 468 76 67
Dr. Roland Kölliker, Molecular Plant Breeding
+41 58 468 7345
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.